Many managers and business owners have been curious about making the switch to mobile scanning apps. Like you, they had questions about how such a transition might work and how it would affect workflows and processes. For example:
- Can smartphones scan fast enough?
- Are smartphones capable of operating barcode scanner SDKs like traditional or dedicated scanners?
- Are mobile scanners as accurate as dedicated scanners?
- Is using a smartphone secure?
The short answer to these questions is yes! For the long answer, keep reading.
If you want to switch to mobile scanning devices, the possibilities are endless. There is a wide range of devices available with high-powered cameras, intuitive user interfaces, and more than enough processing power which means it’s easy to find a solution that is perfect for you.
Plenty of scanner SDKs out there will easily integrate into most mobile applications and match the same scanning speed as traditional barcode scanners. There are even some that do it better! As an example, CortexDecoder® barcode scanner SDK can integrate into most mobile platforms, and its decoding algorithm works great with most smartphone processors.
To understand the possibilities of using a smartphone as a barcode scanner, consider the common issue of needing to scan a bunch of products as quickly as possible. Using a traditional barcode scanner, you would proceed to scan each product one by one, but with a smartphone, you can simply open the app and scan an entire block of products all at once instead of scanning each barcode individually. This saves considerable time and improves efficiency and productivity. By expediting your workflows, you save valuable man-hours while cutting down on errors.
Due to the revolution in technology, barcode scanners have become an everyday piece of equipment. Businesses cannot be as productive without using barcode technology for inventory management, shipping and receiving, and warehouse management. In the current business landscape, mobile barcode scanning applications are a critical trend that saves both time and money.
Why you should consider adopting a mobile scanning solution
- Saves Time: Think back to the early methods of managing inventory. The process was clunky and involved lots of physical manpower collecting and storing product information one item at a time. The margin for error was huge and the costs in time, wages, and lost productivity were high. With barcode technology, all that work can be done with a fraction of the manpower. Instead of having to log everything on a notebook by hand and then transferring to an automated system, a simple scan can decode all the information and store it in a digital inventory management system. Using mobile barcode scanning applications has made that process even easier with multi-capture functionality that allows you to instantly scan a group of products, record the associated data, and move to the next. This saves time and lets you focus on other, more productive tasks.
- Increases Efficiency: Humans aren’t perfect. Mistakes are easily made when you have to manage multiple tasks at the same time. Additionally, accessing historical data on specific items in inventory can be a challenge if that information was misfiled or buried under a pile of papers. With barcode scanning, you can identify in a matter of seconds which products you have, how many, and where they are located. Moreover, with mobile barcode scanning applications, all you do is take your phone out of your pocket, open the app, scan the product, and check the history to find what you need. This not only saves time but increase efficiency and productivity.
- Improves Internal Operations: You likely have a continual system of internal checks and balances to make sure that rules are followed by your employees. Tracking assets, man-hours of each employee, and myriad other internal data can be expensive and time-consuming to manage. Using a mobile barcode scanning application can consolidate all of that information into one system, making it more convenient to track and manage every part of your internal operations. If your internal operations are running smoothly, then your business will run more smoothly externally as well.
- Eliminates Bulky Equipment: Smartphones are designed to be ergonomic and fit inside your pocket. Using a mobile application is a lot easier and more comfortable than carrying around a heavy device slung over your shoulder or strapped to your belt.
- Turns Any Smart Device Into A Barcode Scanner: There’s no need to invest in additional, expensive scanning technology when any device can be transformed into a barcode scanning device—including your employees’ own devices.
- Reduces Technology Repair Costs: Traditional scanning devices can be damaged over time or break down as they age. Using a mobile application helps you save on repair and the cost of replacing old devices. It’s far easier and less expensive to update software than to replace hardware.
- Ensures Compatibility With Existing Software: When you use the mobile barcode scanner SDK for your business, you can simply purchase or build your own application and customize the compatibility of the software.
- Utilizes Cloud Security: The ability to save and backup scanned data from your mobile application gives you peace of mind that your most critical data will always be secure and accessible. No more lost papers or misplaced files, no more notes on clipboards or sticky notes.
CortexDecoder gives you the peace of mind and confidence to shift your scanning to a mobile system. You’ll save time, you’ll save money, and you’ll find improved workflows and efficiency because of this simple, common-sense shift. Now is the time to step into the future and make your move to mobile.