Beyond the Door: Embedded OEM Readers
Do RFID badges only make you think of opening doors or logging into a computer? This series will explore the wide variety of uses for secure credentials. This time we explore embedded OEM readers.
What are OEM readers? An OEM (original equipment manufacturer) reader takes a standard RF IDeas reader, like the pcProx Plus or Nano, and provides only the "guts" without the form factor for applications that need to build credential authentication with the overall solution and not as a separate component.
Who would need this? VARs or third-party manufacturers who build complete or on-demand solutions that require components from multiple sources.
What's in it for my customers?
- Security/Protection - Unlike standard, pre-built readers, OEM readers can be embedded within other hardware, preventing tampering, theft, unauthorized access or damage.
- Aesthetics - Integrating a credential reader rather than mounting or providing one for external use can help maintain a streamlined design for the final product.
- One Solution, One SKU - Music to the ears of any purchaser or project manager is being able to source or request one item that fulfills all of the project needs, rather than all components separately. That kind of offering also helps the seller's branding as a "one-stop" provider.
- Valuable Partnerships - Working with an OEM can help a company that excels in one space, say kiosk cabinet design, and provide them the experience and partnership of the OEM provider, in this case authentication via RFID.
- Faster, Cheaper Go-to-Market - Partnering with an OEM cuts out expensive R&D time, trial and error and any demands to become your own experts on a specific technology that may not be an everyday part of your portfolio.
What kind of applications is this used for?
- Multi-function printers
- All-in-one computers
- Industrial vending machines
- Medical carts
- Mobile workstations
- Tool cabinets
- ...and more!
If you or your customer are looking for an OEM partnership for authentication technology, contact your RF IDeas RSM today!
- Point of Sale